History of the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of the Mother of God
Our congregation has its roots deep in the Brazilian soil of the Amazon where we were founded in 1910. Bishop Amandus Bahlman was planning to establish a school in the area of Santarem, Brazil, where the youth could be educated. He returned to Germany to do some fundraising and to try to find a certified teacher to be in charge of the school.
The Poor Clare Nuns in Germany knew of a Miss Elizabeth Tombrock. Ayoung woman who had the teaching credentials that the Bishop was looking for and who had been considering entering religious life following her miraculous healing from Tuberculosis in Lourdes.
They introduced the two and the Poor Clare sisters helped prepare Elizabeth in her early formation for one year. When her initial formation was completed Elizabeth, now called 'Immaculata of Jesus', sailed for Santarem. When she arrived she completed her formation under the direction of four Conceptionist nuns who had been recruited as missionaries to the Amazon by Bishop Bahlman from their monastery in Rio de Janiero. The rest as they say is history!
The Missionary Sisters now serve in Brazil, Germany, the United States, Angola, Namibia, the Philippines, Taiwan, China and Viet Nam.